Established through a Royal Napoleonic Decree in 1807 by Eugène de Beauharnais, Viceroy of Italy, the Conservatorio “G. Verdi” di Milano boasts more than two hundred years of history. It was inaugurated on 3 September 1808 and since then its headquarters have been located in the historic former convent beside the Church of Santa Maria della Passione. The Conservatorio has always been one of the most important institutions for the study of music, acclaimed nationally and internationally. Nowadays it is active part of the University System of Higher Education in Art and Music, which is headed by the Ministry for Education, University and Research.
• MORE THAN 200 YEARS OF EDUCATIONAL AND PRODUCTION ACTIVITIES
• MORE THAN 1500 STUDENTS
• 236 FACULTY
• MORE THAN 60 BACHELOR (BMUS)
• MORE THAN 50 MASTERS (MMUS)
• MASTER CLASSES AND SEMINARS WITH INTERNATIONALLY RENOWNED TEACHERS
• 60 EXCHANGE AGREEMENTS BASED ON THE ERASMUS PROGRAMME
• A HISTORICAL LIBRARY WITH OVER 500,000 BIBLIOGRAPHIC UNITS
• A COLLECTION OF HISTORIC INSTRUMENTS DATING BACK TO 1881
• TWO CONCERT HALLS
• THE VERDI HALL (1,420 SEATS)
• THE PUCCINI HALL (450 SEATS)
• MORE THAN 200 CONCERTS PER YEAR
The Conservatorio “G. Verdi” di Milano trains talented young artists who want to make music their profession. It is active all year round, inviting the students to perform as soloists or in chamber groups on the occasion of concerts, which often also involve teachers; the tangible outcome of this work is represented by more than 200 concerts a year.
The Conservatorio has its own Symphony Orchestra and the VJO-Verdi Jazz Orchestra entirely composed of students. The Symphony Orchestra is conducted by prominent artists such as Tito Ceccherini, Daniele Gatti, Gianandrea Noseda, Corrado Rovaris, Daniele Rustioni, Yoichi Sugiyama and Michele Gamba, all former students of the Verdi in Milan.
Moreover the students of composition have the opportunity to hear their own compositions being performed by professional ensembles and orchestras.
In order to ensure the health and wellbeing of students, there is a working physiotherapy studio and a protocol has been organised for the welfare of the musicians.
Cristina Frosini, director