Open your view to the Mediterranean by exploring intercultural and improvised music with the help of the jazzman and composer Fabrizio Cassol during the next four Medinea sessions in Valletta (Malta), Hammamet (Tunisia), Aix-en-Provence (France), and Nuoro (Italy)
See application process below
Develop your transmission skills to work with different audiences under the guidance of Mark Withers – clarinettist and community education projects leader at the London Symphony Orchestra- by applying to the three outreach skills sessions in Aix-en-Provence:
See application process below
Apply to an outreach skill session
FINANCIAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
• The modules are complementary and designed as an all-round course although they can be taken individually.
• Training is free (selection based on application).
• Training session, accommodation and travel* fees are covered by the Festival d’Aix. Artists pay for their meals.
* Reimbursements of travel fees are made on proof of purchase of a 2nd class return plane or train ticket between the artist’s town/city of residence and Aix/Marseille. Reimbursements are capped by geographical area: €80 (PACA Region), €210 (whole of France), €350 (Europe / Mediterranean), €500 (outside Europe and the Mediterranean)
Audition for the Medinea sessions in one of the 20 Mediterranean cities
AUDITION’S SCHEDULE (under construction)
— 21 and 22 November 2019 at the National Conservatory of Music and Choreographic Art of Rabat (CNMAC) MOROCCO
— 13 and 14 December 2019 at the Giuseppe Verdi Milan Conservatoire ITALY — APPLY ONLINE BY 3 DECEMBER 2019 MIDNIGHT
— 16 and 17 December 2019 at the Lisbon Higher School of Music PORTUGAL — APPLY ONLINE BY 1 DECEMBER 2019 MIDNIGHT
— 7 January 2020 Academy of Music of the University of Ljubljana SLOVENIA
— 8 January 2020 Zagreb Academy of Music CROATIA
— 13 and 14 January 2020 at the Darius Milhaud Conservatoire of Aix-en-Provence FRANCE — APPLY ONLINE BY 5 JANUARY 2020 MIDNIGHT
— 15 January 2020 at the National Higher Institute of Music in Algiers (INSM) ALGERIA
— 15 January 2020 at the Conservatoire of Grand Avignon FRANCE — APPLY ONLINE BY 5 JANUARY 2020 MIDNIGHT
— 16 January 2020 at the Pierre Barbizet Conservatoire of Marseille FRANCE — APPLY ONLINE BY 5 JANUARY 2020 MIDNIGHT
— 17 January 2020 at the Pierre Cochereau Conservatoire of Nice FRANCE — APPLY ONLINE BY 5 JANUARY 2020 MIDNIGHT
— 28 January 2020 at the University of Macedonia – Department of Music science & Art GREECE
— 28 February 2020 at the ARC Research and Consultancy MALTA
— 3 March 2020 at the University of Arts of Tirana – Art Academy ALBANIA
— 4 March 2020 at the National Conservatory of Athens GREECE
— Cairo Academy of Arts EGYPT
— Lebanese National Higher Conservatory of music / Ghassan Yammine Arts School in Beirut LEBANON
— Prince Rainier III Academy MONACO
— Higher Institute of Music of Tunis TUNISIA
— Higher Institute of Music of Sousse TUNISIA
— Higher Institute of Music of Sfax TUNISIA
— Bilkent University – Faculty of Music and Performing Arts Ankara, TURKEY
— ITÜ MIAM Istanbul, TURKEY
It is not compulsory to be a student to apply to this session.
Age of the applicants — 18 to 30 years old
Musicians from the following countries can apply — Albania, Algeria, Bosnia, Cyprus, Croatia, Egypt, Spain, France, Greece, Israel, Italy, Lebanon, Libya, Macedonia, Malta, Morocco, Monaco, Montenegro, Palestine, Portugal, Slovenia, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey.
• Musical improvisers (traditional and Mediterranean music, jazz, etc.)
• High instrumental level, at ease with musical collective practices
• Open to all instruments and voices
Minimum level required
• High instrumental level or high vocal level – Intense practice of musical improvisation, even of musical composition. Career-oriented higher studies in music.
• There is no requirement to have been or to be a student in a higher education institution.
• A first orchestra within an intercultural ensemble will be appreciated.
• During the sessions, the training will happen in English.
How to apply? The applicants who want to apply for auditions in France, in Italy, in Monaco or in Portugal must imperatively apply online
For other countries, applicants must apply through the participating higher conservatory of music, music academy or university which is our partner for the auditions organization (see the paragraphe Partners of the auditions), please contact directly our partners.
APPLICATION DEADLINES — cf. Audition’s schedule.
Rules — In some specific cases, the Mediterranean Youth Orchestra will be very pleased to consider a video-application if there is no audition in some applicants’ Mediterranean countries (for example: musicians from Syria, from Lybia, etc.) and, if the musician has not any possibility of travel and meet the jury in one auditions’ venue. If you are resident of one country which hosts an audition, please note that the Mediterranean Youth Orchestra will always favour the musicians (of an equivalent level) who made the effort to travel to pass the audition.
How to process? To proceed to the video application, please follow these compulsory steps:
• Complete our registration form online
• Add your 2 video-links:
– Video recording of a standard tune (see the paragraphe Audition test)
– Video recording of a personal composition or an arrangement (see the paragraphe Audition test)
One of video recording should be performed with the candidate as a solo player.
During her / his audition, the musician has to play:
• A standard tune – from the musicians’ original musical field (jazz standard, traditional tune, classical piece, etc.)
• A personal composition or an arrangement
Candidates are required to demonstrate proficiency in their chosen idiom, including instrumental technique and improvisation skills.
The musician has to perform one of the two pieces as a soloist.
The audition of each musician will last maximum 15 minutes, including a short interview in English or French with the panel about the candidate’s musical journey and his / her projects for the future.
HELP & INFORMATION — email@example.com
PARTNERS OF THE AUDITIONS
In France — Darius Milhaud Conservatory of Aix-en-Provence • Conservatory of Grand Avignon • Pierre Barbizet Conservatory of Marseille • Pierre Cochereau Conservatory of Nice • Conservatory of Toulon Provence Méditerranée • IESM Europe et Méditerranée
In the Mediterranean — ALBANIA University of Arts of Tirana – Art Academy • ALGERIA National Higher Institute of Music in Algiers (INSM) • CROATIA Zagreb Academy of Music • EGYPT Cairo Academy of Arts • GREECE National Conservatory of Athens / University of Macedonia – Department of Music science & Art • ITALY Milan Conservatory • LEBANON Ghassan Yammine Arts School in Beirut / Lebanese National Higher Conservatory of music • MALTA ARC Research and Consultancy • MOROCCO National Conservatory of Music and Choreographic Art of Rabat (CNMAC) • MONACO Prince Rainier III Academy • PORTUGAL Lisbon Higher School of Music • SLOVENIA Academy of Music of the University of Ljubljana • TUNISIA Higher Institute of Music of Tunis / Higher Institute of Music of Sfax / Higher Institute of Music of Sousse • TURKEY Bilkent University – Faculty of Music and Performing Arts / ITÜ MIAM
Selection in cooperation with different national youth orchestras — CYPRUS Cyprus Youth Symphony Orchestra • SPAIN Joven Orquesta Nacional de España (JONDE) • PALESTINE Palestine Youth Orchestra / Edward Said National Conservatory of Music • TURKEY Turkish National Youth Philharmonic Orchestra