An open program to the finest young musicians and improvisers from the Mediterranean
The four 2021 Medinea Sessions of the Mediterranean Youth Orchestra (MYO) are each open to a dozen of young and talented musicians from the Mediterranean basin building their careers to become professional artists and who have an intense practice of musical improvisation, even of the composition. Each session is designed for a large diversity of musical aesthetics and Mediterranean expressions and hosts all styles of music using elements of improvisations (jazz, traditional music, early music, etc.).
FABRIZIO CASSOL, composer, saxophonist and jazzman, guides these sessions and proposes to experiment with techniques of collective composition, within an ensemble, with the aim of leading to the creation of a common musical production which also reveals individual singularities. This training offers a unique intercultural experience of the life of an ensemble in creation, in rehearsals and on tour.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the difficulties for traveling that ensued, the Mediterranean Youth Orchestra has been forced to cancel the annual auditions that usually take place in roughly twenty cities in the Mediterranean area. However, any artists who wish to participate in the Medinea sessions may apply via video. Musicians will be selected in partnership with members of the Medinea network.
It is not compulsory to be a student to apply to this session.
Age of the applicants — 18 to 30 years old
Musicians from the following countries can apply — Albania, Algeria, Bosnia, Cyprus, Croatia, Egypt, Spain, France, Greece, Israel, Italy, Lebanon, Libya, Macedonia, Malta, Morocco, Monaco, Montenegro, Palestine, Portugal, Slovenia, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey.
• Musical improvisers (traditional and Mediterranean music, jazz, etc.)
• High instrumental level, at ease with musical collective practices
• Open to all instruments and voices
Minimum level required
• High instrumental level or high vocal level – Intense practice of musical improvisation, even of musical composition. Career-oriented higher studies in music.
• There is no requirement to have been or to be a student in a higher education institution.
• A first orchestra within an intercultural ensemble will be appreciated.
• During the sessions, the training will happen in English.
How to process? To proceed to the video-application, please follow these compulsory steps:
• Complete our registration form online
• Add your 2 video-links:
— Video recording of a standard tune (see the paragraphe Audition test)
— Video recording of a personal composition or an arrangement (see the paragraphe Audition test)
Candidates are required to demonstrate proficiency in their chosen idiom, including instrumental technique and improvisation skills.
The musicians have to perform one of the two pieces as a soloist.
• Registration deadline: 10 June 2021.
The Mediterranean Youth Orchestra of the Festival d’Aix, the network Medinea and its members cover all the tuition, accommodation, meals and travel fees for these sessions.
HELP & INFORMATION
Elodie Ughetto — email@example.com